Having a hard time keeping track of how many schools Nerdfighters have helped in Bangladesh? Here’s a list.
- In 2008, based on your votes, Nerdfighters funded repairs of a school damaged by Cyclone Sidr. Walls were rebuilt, ceilings were anchored, and benches and podiums (made by villagers - including some of the teachers themselves) were provided. You can watch the video of that here. Funding Source: Donations to Uncultured.com. Implemented by: Save the Children. Current Status: Running.
- In 2009, based on your feedback on Twitter, Nerdfighters funded the donation of school uniforms and school supplies to a Buddhist boys hostel in Dhaka City. Pens, paper, and uniforms were given. Money allotted was over-budget and extra funds were used to buy sports equipment for children. You can watch the video of that here. Funding Source: Donations to Uncultured.com (additional in-kind donations by Vestergaard-Frandsen). Implemented by: School Administration of Dharmarajika High School under permission of the Venerable of the Dharmarajika Monastery. Current Status: Supplies Used/Finished.
- In 2012, after years of behind-the-scenes negotiations, the Catholic Church allowed me (as a Muslim) to live with them here in Bangladesh. Together, with the support of Nerdfighters, we funded the construction of a three classroom elementary school in Northern Bangladesh. This school was designed with a foundation which would allow upgradability to a second story and was designed to be resistant to tornadoes. You can watch the series of videos about this school here. Funding Source: Donations to Uncultured.com. Implemented by: The Holy Cross Congregation. Current Status: Running.
- In January 2014, The Good Shepard School was created. This is a free-of-cost school serving about 30 slum kids. Nerdfighters are paying for the rental space for the school, the teachers’ salaries, snacks for the kids, and school supplies. This includes stuff like backpacks and (hopefully soon) benches for the kids to sit on. Funding Source: The Project for Awesome’s Winnings Designated to The Uncultured Project. Implemented by: The Good Shepard Project (with assistance from The Holy Cross Congregation). Current Status: 50% of Funding Spent, 6 Months of Funding Remain.
- On my birthday, I announced construction of a nursery school in southern Bangladesh. This will be in a Catholic ghetto referred to as “Colony 4”. Name of the school to be determined later. Funding Source: The Project for Awesome’s Winnings Designated to The Uncultured Project. Implemented by: The Catholic Church (with assistance from The Holy Cross Congregation). Current Status: Construction Commenced by Currently Halted Due to Monsoon Rains.
I’d like to stress that The Uncultured Project is not a charity or NGO. It’s just me and a group of friends crowdfunding to do charitable projects. I don’t take a cut for my own salary. Funding for equipment (like this laptop I’m typing on) comes from a separate equipment fund you can donate to.
I’m also very lucky that, in all the above cases, the partners that worked with me agreed to spend 100% of the money on helping the poor and did not use this money for their overhead, salaries, etc.,. Not that such costs aren’t important but, especially in an NGO-skeptical country like Bangladesh, I really felt it was important to do these projects in this way.